Sunday, March 4, 2007

Shopping, soul food, and product reviews

This is my second attempt to post this particular entry..for some reason the computer and I are just not getting along today. But that is ok I suppose.

Usually Sundays aren't the most exciting days for us, but today certainly was. Early this morning we went for a wee little shopping spree at Whole Foods (oh yeah, I am like a kid in a candy store), and what a spree it was. We got all kinds of fun new things. So over the next couple of days I am going to review some of the products because they are new and they sure look exciting.

So let's get started.

1. Sencha Shot by ITO EN


Around here we love, love, love our green tea, nutritious and delicious, and this just seemed like a very fab thing. This little can (6.4 fl.oz/190 ml) packs a lot of punch, and it contains 5 times the regular amount of antioxidants found in a regular cup of green tea. It is very concentrated tea, therefore it is very intense in taste as well. You really have to like green tea in order to like this. I enjoyed it I must say, it also does pack a nice little energy boost. Hubby says that it tates like Matcha tea powder in water... he's on to something there ha ha...but still not as intense. I give it thumbs up!

On to the food...


We had an early dinner tonight, which was nice. We picked up some nice organic collard greens today, so I was very excited to use them. I must say that I really haven't cooked a lot of collards, ( I have eaten more than I have cooked!) so I thought that I would look around on the web for some recipe ideas. Well most of the recipes that I found were not very veg friendly. So I had some experimenting to do. Since most recipes included pork hocks ( I believe that is pork cankle...) I decided to replace it with some seitan salamo ( yes I have changed the name because I really don't feel like calling it salami any longer). I sauteed some red onion, garlic and the collards, added some veg stock, the salamo, a can of cannellini beans with liquid, let that simmer for a while and then add some asparagus. mmm already. On the side are some nice roasted baby potatoes ( although they had to be cut in half because they weren't all that baby) with Earth Balance, dill, and summer savoury (this is one of my fave spice combos for potatoes, and yams, pretty much anything starchy). I absoloutely love potatoes, and if I could live off them I would!!


This meal turned out a lot better than I thought it would, since I was a little intimidated by the collards he he. The collards did retain some of their density which was great because they did not turn into a slimy goo woo hoo. It was actually one of those meals that i think I would love to have again real soon!

Hubby Rating: A solid 8 out of 10, the reason it was great but the "stew" ( I don't know what else to call it) was lacking in the spice department ( when I offered him some hot sauce he said no..go figure), but the taters get a 10/10...wow...I would like to thank the academy...he he....But I do admit they turned out fantastic!!

What I learned today: One bunch of collard greens only goes so far, I knew that it was going to cook down but I really didn't think that it was going to be this much...ah well, next time just pick up 2. Also, Seitan salami will no longer be called that it will be know as SALAMO..he he ( i really hope that this is not a copy written name... i was just thinking tuno...salamo... please let me if it is, i don't want to step on toes!!!)

More reviews coming up,

Toodles

No comments: